Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working out

A little before Christmas I got a membership to the gym at DMACC in Ankeny. They offer classes over lunch and have a small gym with weights and a few treadmills/elipticals. And the best part--only $30 a year. Amazing. So I have been taking a half hour class every lunch time with my friend Lacy who works with me at Pioneer. It's been so great to work out with someone! We're at the same fitness level and have the same goals. We've been going four weeks strong now. Woo hoo!

And when I feel extra ambitious in the evenings or on the weekends, I've been doing the workout videos I have at home. The dogs never know quite what to think, but they definitely enjoy licking the sweat off of me while I'm trying to do push ups or something. So annoying and gross!

I've even started to eat better. Tons of fruit and vegetables, very few carbs (you know...the good stuff), low fat yogurt... I'm not perfect, but much better than I was.

Now with all this, you would think I'd have lost like 10 pounds by now. Sadly, that is not the case. I'm seeing some of the results when I look in the mirror and some of my clothes are fitting me better, but I have lost no weight! Maybe it's just offsetting each other--muscle does weigh more than fat. So as I lose fat, I'm gaining just enough muscle to offset each other, right? Who knows. It's starting to get frustrating, but I'm going to stick with it. Losing weight is such an undertaking, especially the older I get! But hopefully I'll start to really see some more results, and get even more motivated than I am now.

The best thing about all of this though--the thing that really keeps me going--is how much my husband loves me no matter how I look. At least that's what he tells me. ;) And if all else fails, I know now that I can run 2 miles without stopping. So the next time some bad guy wants to kill me or something, he'll have to be in good enough shape to run two miles to catch me. Then again, I'm kinda a slow runner... I'll have to hope that I have a really good head start. :)

2 comments:

  1. I started out really slow also...after about a month I cut my calories to less than 1200 a day. And I also found that I didn't lose until I spent more time lifting weights and more time doing cardio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if someone wants to kill you, you'll have to sic the dogs on him to give you a head start. Yeah, that will work.

    ReplyDelete