Thursday, August 18, 2011

New dining room part 2

Back to the dining room!

I decided to tape before painting this time. I haven't taped off before painting in a long time and thought I'd try it again.



It took a long time and in the end, it wasn't really worth it. I even followed the instructions of the paint guy in Holmes on Homes on HGTV. He says to do the first coat around the tape really light so that it just sticks to the tape and forms a good barrier. The second coat then should be full coverage, and then you need to pull the tape off when the paint is still wet. My paint still bled through and the lines are not nice and crisp. Don't look too closely at my paint job when you come visit--it's definitely not perfect! :)

Another word of advice--don't use Glidden paint! It was horrible! The darker grey/black went on decently in 2 coats, but the light grey did not go well. It went on clumpy, runny, and with very splotchy coverage. It truly looked horrible. So for the second coat, we used Tim's Fisher discount and bought Diamond Vogel paint. They were able to match the color perfectly and it looks wonderful! I believe this will be our paint brand of choice from now on.

And here are a couple pictures of the almost finished dining room.





More to come again--hopefully soon :)

3 comments:

  1. That looks sooo much better! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome!! LOVE the color choices! Can we come over?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that it's never been worth the extra money to buy the "nice" paint. I just bought the cheap stuff at Menards and it is just as good as the expensive stuff we bought at Lowes. The dining room looks great!

    ReplyDelete